Monday, February 29, 2016

LMNO Peas



Oh, Keith Baker!!!  Thank you for writing this book!  I cannot say how much I love it.  :)

I stumbled on this book probably three or four years ago at the library in Albany, CA.  I picked it up because Maddie and I spent a lot of time looking at letters and playing with them.  (And also because the peas in helmets riding their bikes across the bottom of the cover were too adorable not to pick up!)  It was one of those books I checked out without even previewing - it just looked good.

Later, when I sat down at home with Maddie to read through it, I was delighted with what I found!  I smiled through this book.  I loved Baker's witty use of words, excellent rhythm, clever tie-ins to each letter, and (of course) fanciful and entertaining illustrations.  Those peas are a hoot!  Ever full of energy, ever doing what you least expect from a pea (engineering a building? caring for a caterpillar at their zoo?), the peas were as fun to point out and talk about as were the giant alphabet letters.

This is another book I want on my shelf, pronto.  I'll probably give one to each of my children to take with them to their own homes and read to their own kids.  Go pick up this book or reserve it at your library, then find a kid to read it to.  You won't regret it.  (And the peas will smile at you for it!)

*Just a side note.  Although I loved the illustrations just as much, I didn't love the rhythm or construction of  Keith Baker's 123 Peas quite as much.  It just didn't flow as wonderfully as his alphabet book.  Go ahead and pick it up to see those adorable peas again, but if you don't love it quite as much that's okay.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment